Sunday, February 4, 2024

Listening to Pachelbel's Canon in D Major

I did the unthinkable: I allowed myself to do nothing all day but listen to this one piece of music, this one specific piece of music, a variety of interpretations but still the same exquisite composition, music I find mercilessly beautiful. I allowed myself to do nothing but listen. Actually, willed myself was closer to the truth. I went on YouTube, pressed go, and was instantly presented with hours worth of nothing but the Canon. I wanted so badly to be lost in the music, to feel it pulsate through me, and I did, for stretches and more, but guilt kept seeping through the seams, perhaps as one version transited to another, so for an instant I wasn't engaged with music but silence. "Aren't you supposed to be doing something?" yaps the little beast on my shoulder. "Don't you have a bill to pay or a phone call to return or an appointment to make, or a book overdue...?"  Dontcha? Dontcha? Dontcha? "You're not doing anything." 

"I am. I'm listening." 

"Like I said..."  

Like a tincture, I feel that maybe, just maybe, if I soak in it long enough by osmosis it'll somehow seep in, somehow infuse. And then what? Then maybe, just maybe, some of my words will have some of that music that the Canon in D does. Beautiful words can do that for me. 

I learned a new one this morning, way before I even got out of bed. Jamie was beside me, up early as usual, on her IPad, her morning cruise. I touched her hip to let her know I was awake. "Listen to this," she said, "I found a new word." 

Apricity.

The warmth of the sun in Winter.

From the Latin, apricus - from the sun. It was briefly popular around 1600 but faded quickly. Don't think about the word so much as the feeling it evokes. Imagine: an icicle day, a bleak and dreary sky but then, of an instant, the sun breaks through the gristle and, for a little while - one brief spell  - there is warmth. 

Isn't there a metaphor floating around here somewhere? Hope, for example - hope being the notion that circumstances will change, hope being that distant glow from a dismal sky. 

The Canon is what's possible. 





Two Part Invention by Madeleine L'Engle

No comments:

Post a Comment