Sunday, April 30, 2023

Thoughts On A Crummy Afternoon

No one would ever mistake me for a financial genius. A fiduciary primitive? Closer to it. My father taught me stoicism yet little else but a sense of humor. He ran a small tire business so was kind of a blue collar guy, only I never ever remember seeing him with a tool in his hand. As a businessman, he was no Rockefeller. I don't remember plans or dreams just the tediousness of opening the shop every single day. I remember telling him (I was in my teens) that Tommy's father took him to the bank so he could borrow $100. Tommy would then be obligated to pay back the bank over the course of a year. Tommy's father was teaching him money. My father couldn't understand why Tommy's father didn't just give it to him. He could mow the lawn or something to pay it off. Shovel snow. Why not? Dad simply didn't get it. Tommy became an investment banker. I became an artist. If my father had taken me to the bank like Tommy's did, would I have saved myself a ton of trouble and become a banker, too?







No comments:

Post a Comment