Tuesday, August 27, 2019

More Words for the Workshop

THIRD ANNUAL SPRUCETON INN WRITERS WORKSHOP AND                                     RETREAT   
          
           Words from the heart – Writing from the Inside Out

September 22 – September 24
Spruceton Valley, tucked away in the heart of the Northern Catskills.

A time and place to reflect and find your story.

CONTACT:
HTTPS://WWW.SPRUCETONINN.COM/WORKSHOPS-RETREATS

You will spend three days in the most peaceful place on this earth. It will be a time to write, and a time to reflect. Of course, we will read your work and talk about it. I look to see what you are trying to do, and then I do my best to help you do it. What I really want to do is enhance the way you see. For me, that is the key to good writing – the ability to see things that others do not. Where others see a forest, you see trees. Where others see trees, you see a tree. When you see a tree, you see an entire network of life you never knew existed, from way underneath the ground on up.
I am also in love with words. I believe words used as only you can use them become magical incantations that bring entire worlds into existence. 

What do I want from you? To write fiercely and honestly. To love words as the tools that tell your tale. To dig so deeply you are stunned at what you find, yet that is the only the way you and you alone can tell that tale because it is a tale like no one else. Because It Is Yours.
What will you get from me? I bring you the lifetime of a writer and adventurer brimming with experience in the world writ large. I bring you the eyes of a creator, a scholar, and a critic, reader of some zillion or so books, decades of teaching experience – this country and others, college grads and undergrads, street people, high school kids, at-risk kids and prison inmates, ex-cons in halfway houses, hungry screenwriters, poetry in elementary schools, elderly memoirists, snazzy writers’ conferences…And now you. 

I’ve hugged Jane Fonda and shaken hands with Muhammad Ali. I survived the wilds of Alaska, the back-country desert of the Superstition Wilderness, and the mountain rainforests of Dominica, and and and…I’ve been a social worker. I’ve been a United States Marine. I’ve worked in the White House. I’ve taught on a college campus and a maximum-security prison, at risk kids and the homeless. I am at your disposal. Pick my brain. See what’s in there. Maybe something you can use. Sometimes even I’m surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment